Gob
Possible novel spoilers ahead.

The original Spartan Ops in Halo 4, while an interesting concept, left a lot to be desired in practice. Repetitive missions, bland characters and cheesy lines;
no need to keep beating that dead horse.

What I want to start here is a dialogue on how that series could potentially be resurrected in Halo: Infinite, and how it can be tweaked to be cover a lot more ground amongst fans. 

From the Halo: Infinite reveal trailer, we get the sense that this is going to be more of a throwback to a "classic" Halo campaign. While we can't know that for sure right now, we'll assume for the sake of this discussion that that's where it's headed. 

By a "Classic Halo Campaign" I mean this:

Master Chief focused, alone, on a Halo ring, vast open environments etc, etc.

You get the point. 

So, while that is exciting in it's own way, we're left wondering what happens to Osiris, who had a pretty heavy focus in Halo 5 and despite what some may think, are characters that are ripe with potential for further development. That last statement is another thread all on it's own so we won't go further than that. 

Sure, the team could suffer the fate of many others and get written off in the EU, but again, to myself and many others that seems like a colossal waste of potential. It's already happened to Buck, who appears to be all but retired at the end of Bad Blood. I think it's pretty safe to assume Nathan Fillion has something else going on or is just to costly for the franchise to keep around. Hopefully that's not the fate of the other members of the team. But if they need a place to go, Spartan Ops seems like an ideal fit. Thorne could even be brought back to fit that empty spot left by Buck.

Now that we have the characters, they need a stage. Assuming Infinite is a large, modern open world game, you could easily plop Osiris down anywhere and have them run missions on the ring itself, or use Spartan Ops to showcase unique places in the Universe. Personally I'd prefer the latter but I can see how staying on the Halo ring can cut down on production. 

What do you all think of this? I feel an episodic series, paid or not, that can keep quality of gameplay and writing up would be great for the community, whether it kicks off a year after launch or a few months. I'm not a Destiny player but seeing what they do with updates a year after launch seems to be pretty well received. 

I could also see how a new Spartan Ops could cater to a slightly different audience as well, or at least feel a little different to the base campaign. Maybe the Chief campaign is more open and solitary, while spartan ops is more of a co-op focus, for example. There's also the possibility to re-create the hype from Hunt The Truth where everyone was waiting for the next episode. It was a collective experience and felt like an event when everyone tuned into the new episode. Perhaps a new Spartan Ops could pick up on a story thread from the main campaign to intertwine them.

I'll stop rambling on it now because I really wanna hear other peoples thoughts on this.

What do you all think? Would you change the logistics of it all? What type of a story would you want? Should we even bother with Spartan Ops anymore?
Quote 3 0
Mendicant Bias
Halo 4 was nothing but campaign and Spartan Ops for me a brilliant concept they absolutely needed to expand further. With it being episodic they could easily use SO as an expansion bridging into the next game without creating and marketing an add-on from scratch. Honestly, SO would have fit better in Halo 5 with Warzone being appropriate for Halo 4, Guardians creates the perfect wild wild west post-war environment for SO to thrive without the same repetitive levels or narration.

I wish we had better explanation as to why Firefight and Spartan Ops were removed instead of being replaced with something new each installment. I'd kill for a little bundle like MCC with us getting Reach FF,Spartan Ops, and Warzone Firefight with them being continually supported as a separate bundle being updated over time,with each game.  This way a small team could be reallocated to manage these gametypes which would keep us occupied between releases.
Quote 0 0
Verbalstatue253
I would say if it were similar to how in black ops 2 you had strike ops or in mass effect 3 you did war asset missions (except in infinite it means something tangible) I would totally be happy with that. Characters should return and be more weathered with experience in some fashion, instead of dumping them or introducing loads of brand new ones. I know there are only so many missions you can have before it get repetitive but not using the exact same map for 3 missions is a good start.

For me if a new Spartan ops had an effect of the main story line game or affected your future missions that would be far more engaging. With the characters acting less like jocks in power armour and more like professional operators and soldiers, which ties back into the more mature tone of the game, jokes can still be there just not as cheesy as the last.
Quote 0 0
SilentRebel38
I would like a Season 2. The problem is that it would be completely disconnected from the first Season, which was made irrelevant by Halo 5. How could I like Spartan Ops?
To start, more variety. Not just "get in area, shoot bad guys, win". How about introducing more objective than slayer? Like, destroy this purple or orange thingy to gain access to this strange thingy. Or defend this cartographer thingy until all data is extracted... you get the point. I'm also talking about introducing MP modes in this. How about collecting skulls (dogtags) from the enemy? Or racing to this spot? Anything but slayer only.

Then, a more relevant story. The whole plot behind Spartan Ops isn't really anything great. It only gets more significant in the later seasons. Up until the attack your capture by the Covenant, the whole thing is boring AF. Escaping from them without the ability to choose your loadout was a nice twist, but was done only once. Another interesting plot point is the Attack on Infinity that didn't just last for 1 or 2 chapters, but 4 of the 5. Then Requiem goes to the sun AND then it's all over. Most of the plot is literally freeing the Infinity AGAIN from something that keeps it unable to fly off the Planet. I want it to have a bigger impact, not just a "fun" side story.

Talking about the cutscenes now, I want it to be like Reach. It displays whatever your Spartan is wearing at all times. Another cool feature is that the other Spartans in your Fireteam could also appear in the cutscene alongside the leader. Granted, the number of Spartan wouldn't impact the story, but would help with immersion, making you feel like you're actually part of the Universe WITH your fireteam. (no voices tho). If Elites were playable, just a cosmetic changes too (Yes, Elites would be an option, not exclusive to MP).

That's literally all I want from a Season 2. Something relevant in the bigger scheme that still helps you feel immersed in the Universe.
Quote 0 0
Dibol1987
Gob wrote:
Possible novel spoilers ahead.

Sure, the team could suffer the fate of many others and get written off in the EU, but again, to myself and many others that seems like a colossal waste of potential. It's already happened to Buck, who appears to be all but retired at the end of Bad Blood. I think it's pretty safe to assume Nathan Fillion has something else going on or is just to costly for the franchise to keep around. Hopefully that's not the fate of the other members of the team. But if they need a place to go, Spartan Ops seems like an ideal fit. Thorne could even be brought back to fit that empty spot left by Buck.

Sadly, you would have to count Fillion out for the time being, considering he’s filming ABC’s The Rookie. We’re looking at a full season of 20+ episodes, and depending on production schedules, that is 9 months of 20-hour shoots within the spitballing range. As for Thorne returning, that is completely dependent on Matthew Peck’s availability.
Quote 0 0