Mendicant Bias
Simply put what are some retcons you would implement had you control of the haloverse? My top few are as follows-

1. Covenant vehicles have shielding across the board-  Cements Covenant technological superiority over Humanity while making land engagements challenging beyond deployment of troops en masse.  Advancements later in the war such as laser,gauss, and  rail technologies would effectively nullify said advantage however.

2. Human technological advances after the Human-Covenant war -  Instead of jumping another technological tier just prior to the war ending major advances wouldn't be gained for at least 20 years with mass implementation another 20-30 years after. Creates a deadlier post-war era forcing humanity to rely on diplomacy and first strikes rather than Infinity and modern era ships however few. Conflicts with the Innies would probably still be on the rise in addition to "covenant" piracy creating a quasi wild west environment with the UNSC being severely depleted.

3. Forerunner alloys impervious to human Ballistics-  Rather self explanatory yet one of my highest grips with the current era, there isn't any reason for Forerunner combat automatons being susceptible to the UNSC's weaponry bar lasers,rail, and gauss tech. Kills the immersion of beings able to create structures of adamantium (stated in Cryptum) which stay unscathed through time yet combat automatons easily destroyed by a tier 3/2 race.

4. The Banished - While there isn't anything illogical or inherently wrong  with The Banished i'd rather the Covenant be fearful of another faction beyond our reach and noticed than a rebel group. This would inherently be a post-war focus of the UNSC with them torn between letting Covenant remnants be exterminated or aid their disgruntled "allies" from extinction.  Perhaps this threat could exist with the Banished taking a backseat.
Quote 3 0
Gob
Simply put what are some retcons you would implement had you control of the haloverse? 

2. Human technological advances after the Human-Covenant war -  Instead of jumping another technological tier just prior to the war ending major advances wouldn't be gained for at least 20 years with mass implementation another 20-30 years after. Creates a deadlier post-war era forcing humanity to rely on diplomacy and first strikes rather than Infinity and modern era ships however few. Conflicts with the Innies would probably still be on the rise in addition to "covenant" piracy creating a quasi wild west environment with the UNSC being severely depleted.

Yeah this one never made much sense to me. Humanity is esentially on crutches at the end of the war, but in a few short years creates the biggest ship it's ever had complete with Forunner tech. Outside forces like you mentioned as well as inner squabbles and politics seem like it'd slow things down a lot. Aside from ya know... entire worlds being lost and resources depleted 

Quote:
3. Forerunner alloys impervious to human Ballistics-  Rather self explanatory yet one of my highest grips with the current era, there isn't any reason for Forerunner combat automatons being susceptible to the UNSC's weaponry bar lasers,rail, and gauss tech. Kills the immersion of beings able to create structures of adamantium (stated in Cryptum) which stay unscathed through time yet combat automatons easily destroyed by a tier 3/2 race.

Now that you mention it, yeah this is weird. I personally dont want Halo to become all laser-y and generic Sci-Fi, so I'll let it slide.

Quote:
4. The Banished - While there isn't anything illogical or inherently wrong  with The Banished i'd rather the Covenant be fearful of another faction beyond our reach and noticed than a rebel group. This would inherently be a post-war focus of the UNSC with them torn between letting Covenant remnants be exterminated or aid their disgruntled "allies" from extinction.  Perhaps this threat could exist with the Banished taking a backseat.

I like the Banished and I think of them as another "Superpower" like the US/Russia/China. I'm thankful there's not yet another faction/species to keep track of. Humans, Covenant, Forunner, Flood, Precursor is kind of pushing it as it is, for me.
Quote 0 0
Tacit Axiom
I would be perfectly fine with retconning a few star locations. In fact, 343i should just go back to the drawing board, get a rough idea of the interstellar distances humans and the Covenant are capable of crossing (as well as possible development over time in those capabilities) and build a map based on that information. This map would then be handed out as a guideline for Halo writers so there would be fewer oddities, you'd actually get some kind of sense of where things are in relation to one another, and wouldn't have to resort to "it's slipspace, I don't have to explain shit" as a getaway as often.

I've been working a while on mapping out the Orion Arm and there's plenty of times when stuff doesn't make sense, like Harvest being just 0.5LY further from Earth than Reach, or Eayn being closer to Earth than many Outer Colonies, and so on. And of course the whole can of worms that is Installation 03's discovery (Warfleet's Halo locations in general could be a lot more logical).

The Banished - While there isn't anything illogical or inherently wrong  with The Banished i'd rather the Covenant be fearful of another faction beyond our reach and noticed than a rebel group. This would inherently be a post-war focus of the UNSC with them torn between letting Covenant remnants be exterminated or aid their disgruntled "allies" from extinction.  Perhaps this threat could exist with the Banished taking a backseat.

Even as a Covenant break-off faction, I think the Banished may've worked better if they'd been a longer-established society with an actual culture than their own instead of just another band of marauders. Maybe they fled beyond the Covenant's borders centuries ago, started out an entire civilization of their own, and are now starting to resurface with the fall of the Covenant.
halo
Quote 3 0
Quirel
The Banished work just fine as a faction of warlords and bandits, but 343i oversold them by claiming that they were "the" reason why the Covenant couldn't devote their full resources to exterminating Humanity. 

And it's better for them to be a coalition of bandits led by a single warlord, because then their entire history can be established with the story of Atriox's rise to power. If they were a breakaway society with their own culture, that puts 343i in the awkward position of devoting more energy to fleshing out their culture and history than thr Covenant has ever recieved.
Quote 3 0
Mendicant Bias
Quirel wrote:
The Banished work just fine as a faction of warlords and bandits, but 343i oversold them by claiming that they were "the" reason why the Covenant couldn't devote their full resources to exterminating Humanity. 

And it's better for them to be a coalition of bandits led by a single warlord, because then their entire history can be established with the story of Atriox's rise to power. If they were a breakaway society with their own culture, that puts 343i in the awkward position of devoting more energy to fleshing out their culture and history than thr Covenant has ever recieved.

The Banished are merely a tie in from obscure lore points earlier on hinting something else was preventing the Covenant  from immediately obliterating Humanity.

Hence why more CSO’s weren’t deployed and The Covenant started beelining for Earth after 20 years.
Quote 1 0
Quirel

The Banished are merely a tie in from obscure lore points earlier on hinting something else was preventing the Covenant  from immediately obliterating Humanity.

Hence why more CSO’s weren’t deployed and The Covenant started beelining for Earth after 20 years.

Yeah, I know. I remember that offhand theory from Dr. Halsey. I'm saying that the Banished, themselves, don't seem like a big enough threat to earn all the credit for distracting the Covenant.
Quote 0 0
Mendicant Bias
Quirel wrote:

Yeah, I know. I remember that offhand theory from Dr. Halsey. I'm saying that the Banished, themselves, don't seem like a big enough threat to earn all the credit for distracting the Covenant.

-Growing political instability due to general lack of faith and query as to why Humans haven't been offered into the Covenant as everyone else.
-Tension brewing between Truth and Regret with each of them marshaling Brutes and Elites respectively.

Tie those in with the Banished to have your stresses which prevented the Covenant from moving freely as they probably did decades before.Not to mention whatever issues client races were having among themselves and each other.
Quote 0 0
Verbalstatue253
If I had to choose a type of retcon it would be for humanity and the state of the galaxy post war. The UNSC would engage in more diplomacy but similar to how things were during the cold war (minus M.A.D). 

AS the UNSC focuses on rebuilding the inner colonies and willing outer ones, as well as its military power, it cedes a few planets to Innies, maintaining a functional peace through trade but by using agents and puppets who can't be tied to ONI constantly stirs trouble for them and former covenant races.

If we made it about a decade until the events of halo 4 and had the UNSC in a stronger standing with a few restblished worlds and a new strong post war fleet, and wider integration of forerunner tech, then if we had an event similar to the AI revolt to kick things back off I would be happy with tgat
Quote 0 0