TRUe REDEMPTI0N
So, the other species in the Halo Universe are the Sangheili, San'Shyuum, Unggoy, Kig-Yar, Lekgolo, Jiralhanae, Yanme'e, Huragok, Yonhet, Forerunners, and Precursors/Flood. However, I actually wouldn't mind completely band new species to come into the franchise, including a brand new threat. Now, yes, the only known species still alive in the galaxy were part of the Conservation Measure and reseeded. Guilty Spark detected a radio signal from a species previously unknown, then the Array activated, and that species was sadly wiped out. It would take millions of years for life to evolve and then become sentient on a world. Aside from that issue, I think it'd be cool for new species to come in, bringing a new development to the series. Would be cool, as this threat would be an interesting discussion for what we should do, as the Mantle will be ours at that point.What'd you think?
Quote 1 0
Tense
Yes I would be completely fine with it. In fact, this is what I originally wanted in Halo 4. I wanted to deal with a new alien species/faction from another sector or the Galaxy. I hoped it would be the terminal 5 species from HCA making a return. I find the prospect of fighting a new race so much more interesting than anything else.
AND DEY SAY ZULUL AND DEY SAY ZULUL AND DEY SAY ZULUL
Quote 1 0
Venture Jones
I would like to see maybe a team up of species, good sides and bad. But would be neat to see maybe Banished and UNSC working together along with any Insurrectionist. Just team-ups that no one would think would work together. Like in Halo 3 with Chief and the Flood.
🏜🎻🎮👌
Quote 0 0
Folder of Fortune
A new species: No, I'd rather get to know more about the other species beyond the Sangheili before we get into other species. Also, I'd rather not go to Star Wars or Star Trek levels of bloat where they're all just based around one singular trait and don't go beyond that because you're introducing a new species every five minutes.
A new threat: Absolutely no, I already have my own reservations for the Didact and the Prometheans and the Created when we already have the foundation for good stories with the post-war setting and the politics and changes to society and fractured Covenant and rising Insurrection. Bringing in the variable of a living Forerunner followed by an AI rebellion was completely unnecessary.
Also, I really don't see why the Mantle has to be so prevalent. In my eyes, the Mantle is nothing more than just the Forerunner's philosophy for their society and their place in the galaxy, nothing more nothing less. It doesn't need to be prevalent beyond that outside of trying to understand the Forerunner society.
Quote 1 0
Tacit Axiom
I'm fine with outsider species being alluded to, as in Conversations from the Universe or the HCEA terminals, but until the current Covenant species have been properly fleshed out, I don't think Halo needs to bloat itself with yet more species. The Covenant species can fill virtually any role you can think of in a story anyway, which is why the Yonhet especially were such a pointless addition.
halo
Quote 2 0
Quirel
I am with Tacit Axiom. I don't see the point in introducing another Covenant species anytime soon.

The Covenant species can fill any role you need them to. Ex-Covenant polities can be a villain or hero, obstacle or ally, if only they could get some proper development. Likewise, if the Covenant races are stale, it's because we've had the same stock characters playing off each other for going on a decade without any development or awareness. The solution isn't to introduce more alien species. If you do that without addressing the underlying problem, then that species is going to be rigidly defined to a stock role, and it'll get stale after a few years.

As a new threat, another alien species isn't the answer, not if it's played the same way as the robot uprising or the Forerunner threat have been played. By the time credits rolled on Halo 3, we'd already saved the galaxy three times over, a galaxy we barely know. Halo 2 and Halo 3 sort of got around this by setting Earth as the final stand of Humanity. But now the galaxy is bigger than that. Supposedly. But little to no development has happened to back up that expansion, so who the fuck cares if Glyke gets destroyed? Or Meridian? They're just names at this point.

If your storytelling is stuck in crisis mode, and every crisis averted is followed by a new threat to the galaxy or the Human race, there's not a lot of reason to keep caring. There's no yardstick, there's no sense of scale, and no sense that anything matters. 

Assume that 343i could stick to a story arc long enough to finish it. Now assume that they go with the new alien faction idea. This faction invades UNSC territory and glasses a few colonies. What happens next? 

The UNSC fights back.
Swords of Sanghelios gets in on the fight, maybe.
The aliens go for one of the Halo arrays or some other alien artefact, maybe.
Humans win, eventually.

You can't guess at what happens next, because there is so little of anything to go on. What planets matter, what planets don't matter, what alliances can be formed, what threats to those alliances exist, what alliances don't have a chance of being made, how much of a beating can the UNSC take before the whole rotten structure comes crashing down, who can say?

When you have a blank canvas in front of you, the possibilities are endless. The possibilities, in fact, can be overwhelming. But sooner or later, you've got to start painting. You've got to narrow down what could be into what is. Sometimes, I get the feeling that the writers at 343i are terrified of filling in that blank space, because then they might accidentally write themselves into a corner.

Hmm. What was the original topic again?
Quote 2 0
Voka
If the Yonhet are an indication for how new species will be characterized and built up, then absolutely not. Halo doesn't need anymore single issue and monoculture species added in. It needs more multi-faceted ones, and that is only built up over time by using the species that the setting has already got.

I question the validity of adding in species to drive more conflict anyway. It doesn't involve much creativity when it comes to the nature of the conflict itself, as it's just more tribalism of the most common kind in sci-fi that can only make sense if you invoke all the vices of lazy worldbuilding that involves species that all have more or less the same political beliefs, culture and are racially collectivized and nationalized. In other words, completely unrealistic assumptions. It's certainly much easier than coming up with a conflict that isn't just about race, because then you have to craft two fairly complex polities with somehow competing geopolitical aims, or a troubled history together rooted in some past dispute, or who have competing political or cultural elements. Then you have to come up with reasons for why people in those polities would be willing to go to war over them. This is like a blank canvas, because you do ALL the work. Whereas the "species drives conflict" mechanism is like paint-by-numbers, because due to the way people just accept it's premise of monoculture aliens and the power of xenophobia, most of the work is actually already done for you. As a result it seems overused, which is why its boring.
Quote 6 0
Macklin Butcher
Anton took the words right of my mouth. Also, we really don't need more plot threads introduced right now, since we still have so many hanging threads with not even a hint of resolution right now. 
Quote 0 0
JNDreher
Abaddon would make a good new threat as our heroes battle their way through Maethrillian to its core to shut down/reboot the Domain before Cortana's are able to stop them.
Quote 0 0
Verbalstatue253
I wouldn't be opposed to a new species being seen in a game. I mean we still have to encounter the Sharqoui (excuse the spelling) in a game. I would however would prefer if they were an ally and not a next adversary. Maybe along the lines they know of the forerunners and humanity ultimate goal of attaining the mantle and upon learning of the war they have sided with humanity to assist achieving that.

Maybe later on we can learn their aid isn't as benign as it seemed, but I wouldn't mind a new ally
Quote 0 0
Mendicant Bias
I wouldn't be opposed to a new species being seen in a game. I mean we still have to encounter the Sharqoui (excuse the spelling) in a game. I would however would prefer if they were an ally and not a next adversary. Maybe along the lines they know of the forerunners and humanity ultimate goal of attaining the mantle and upon learning of the war they have sided with humanity to assist achieving that.

Maybe later on we can learn their aid isn't as benign as it seemed, but I wouldn't mind a new ally

My memory is fuzzy but i think the Sharqoui was said to be the Harvester if i'm not mistaken. Personally i had no issue with the Yohnet because not every species needs to have amazing depth or significance to the overall universe however i do think it was poor actualizing the concept of "Covenant Fringe" yet only reveal one species. over 3,000 years of existence should have the Covenant brimming with a few dozen minor species along with a couple major possible too far for involvement in the war,low population numbers, or too valuable for deployment.  The Chandler within High Charity was said to be created from Glassed worlds of those who resisted the Covenant having a dozen or so large shards.  Clearly other races were encountered, i would hope there is more to the Covenant than we've seen from an outsiders perspective.
Quote 0 0
Drof497
I echo the same sentiments as the above. At the moment, there's already a plethora of alien races to explore and develop in the Halo Universe, from the Sangheili to the Unggoy to the Jiralhanae and you can easily establish a new threat without introducing new species entirely by making use of already existing characters and concepts. Case in point: the Banished, which took an existing species that had barely been explored (the Jiralhanae) and reinvented them from the ground up, giving them new dynamics in not only how they interact with themselves but also the rest of the setting (other characters, faction, etc.), provide a much deeper exploration to said species that makes them more three dimensional and were introduced in a manner than doesn't radically shift the tone and alter the power balance of the setting, unlike another poorly introduced faction who have the complexity of a Saturday morning cartoon villain, ala the Created.

Rather than introduce new species who come out of nowhere with no  existing history to bounce off from, the writers are better off expanding upon existing species and factions in the setting and play with the dynamics these species can play off with other alien races or factions. The Yanme'e for example could really use some development. They are a species that's been a part of the Covenant for thousands of years and would almost certainly be deeply integrated with many different parts of Covenant society. Malurok for example is a world colonised by both Sangheili and Yanme'e who hold joint control over the colony. How do these races interact, and how did the different cultural beliefs and traditions affect how the Sangheili and Yanme'e developed as a people? 

I actually once read a cool theory (I think it was from @Quirel IIRC) where the armour used by Sesa 'Refumee's Heretic faction was using armour inspired by Yanme'e anatomy. Looking at the armour design compared to the Yanme'e, I can see how that theory holds up, and I like the idea that the armour used by the Heretics in Halo 2 was designed on Malurok by Sangheili who have close ties with the Yanme'e.
File:H2A Heretic Major.png
File:Yanme'eInsectDrone.png
All in all: focus on exploring the existing species in the Halo universe first. 
Quote 5 0
Tacit Axiom
My memory is fuzzy but i think the Sharqoui was said to be the Harvester if i'm not mistaken. Personally i had no issue with the Yohnet because not every species needs to have amazing depth or significance to the overall universe however i do think it was poor actualizing the concept of "Covenant Fringe" yet only reveal one species. over 3,000 years of existence should have the Covenant brimming with a few dozen minor species along with a couple major possible too far for involvement in the war,low population numbers, or too valuable for deployment.  The Chandler within High Charity was said to be created from Glassed worlds of those who resisted the Covenant having a dozen or so large shards.  Clearly other races were encountered, i would hope there is more to the Covenant than we've seen from an outsiders perspective.

Nah, the Sharquoi are their own thing, based on the old Drinol concepts.

Also, I'd imagine the majority of the glass shards in that chamber would've come from existing colonies that tried to break off from or defy the Covenant for one reason or the other. Doesn't really fit their MO to completely annihilate a species just because they resisted, given that nearly every one of the client races did so at first, which is also why the complete annihilation of humans became a point of contention to some Sangheili.
halo
Quote 1 0
Quirel

Drof497 wrote:
Rather than introduce new species who come out of nowhere with no  existing history to bounce off from, the writers are better off expanding upon existing species and factions in the setting and play with the dynamics these species can play off with other alien races or factions. The Yanme'e for example could really use some development. They are a species that's been a part of the Covenant for thousands of years and would almost certainly be deeply integrated with many different parts of Covenant society. Malurok for example is a world colonised by both Sangheili and Yanme'e who hold joint control over the colony. How do these races interact, and how did the different cultural beliefs and traditions affect how the Sangheili and Yanme'e developed as a people? 

I actually once read a cool theory (I think it was from @Quirel IIRC) where the armour used by Sesa 'Refumee's Heretic faction was using armour inspired by Yanme'e anatomy. Looking at the armour design compared to the Yanme'e, I can see how that theory holds up, and I like the idea that the armour used by the Heretics in Halo 2 was designed on Malurok by Sangheili who have close ties with the Yanme'e.
File:H2A Heretic Major.png
File:Yanme'eInsectDrone.png
All in all: focus on exploring the existing species in the Halo universe first. 

Corporal Megan Carter, Third Battalion Fifteenth Marines, startled when PFC Matt Barthol cut loose with his MA5C right behind her. She had neither fired a shot in anger nor seen the Covenant up close before today, but after that last assault, she'd be happy to never hear the crack of a gunshot ever again. But she was still here, on Reach, and somehow she knew that the fighting wasn't going to end until the planet had fallen.

PFC Barthol flicked his selector switch to single fire and kept plinking away at whatever he saw in the haze, and some of the others in the squad joined in. Carter hit the dirt and scanned the wrecked city, but she couldn't see anything. Neither could the Staff Sergeant. He shouted for identification, and when nobody replied he called cease fire.

"Barthol, what was that?"

"Contact, sir. Drone." 

"A Drone," Private Hjande Gonzalez muttered in disgust. "I just saw something moving out there and Barthol started shooting, so I-"

"You obviously weren't thinking," Staff Sergeant Kosiak snarled. "Gonzalez, next time you don't fire until you get a positive ID. That could have been one of the other squads out there. Barthol, next time you point out a target before you open fire, just so the rest of us know you haven't lost your nut. Am I clear?"

Both Marines answered in the affirmative. Carter said nothing. Neither did Corporal Ernesto Vidal. He kept walking with a glassy-eyed stare. Carter wasn't even sure he noticed the gunfire. The rest of the depleted squad had to catch up to him to continue their patrol ahead of the bulldozers, out where bomber runs had turned the forest around Orbital Defense Generator Facility 279 into a cratered moonscape. Not since they'd left the facility's perimeter had they seen any surviving humans. Now they were looking for surviving Covenant. When they found any, Vidal put them down so they couldn't report back to squidhead command or suicide-rush the dozers. Hence the glassy-eye stare. He used a plasma pistol for the job. Bullets were scarce enough.

"Just a Drone," Gonzalez muttered for the fifth time.

"Drones can be deadly," Barthol shot back.

"You probably scared it off with the first shot," the Staff Sergeant said. "Drones are worker caste. Not much smarter than a dog. Grunts at least get used for cannon fodder, and you've seen how stupid they are. If Drones made useful soldiers, the Covenant would use them."

"You ever fight them before?" Carter asked.

"Yeah, on Sargasso. They had plasma weapons, but they didn't know what to do with them. Just don't let them grab you, and you'll be fine."

"Claws like that, a Drone could tear you limb from limb in a heartbeat," Vidal spoke for the first time in an hour, startling them all. "Just like a Brute. Or a Jackal. Or an Elite. Or a Grunt. They're all freaks with too many claws and teeth. Why don't the Covenant assimilate the normal aliens?"

"Can it and keep your eyes up," the Staff Sergeant said. His eyes were firmly glued on the haze to the east.

Carter looked back to the ODG, a massive slab-sided building surrounded by annexes and armored fusion reactor sarcophaguses. There had been more to it this morning. To the north had been the massive dishes that transmitted the energy up to the ODPs until the last round of upgrades. To the west and the south was the small city of warehouses and depots and housing that had grown up around the facility over the years. Gone. Leveled. Ceded to the Covenant and then burned and blasted from the air. Damn fools had been so fixated on taking out the generator that they hadn't seen the bombers coming. 

She gave a silent prayer that the Covenant would make that mistake twice, hefted her rifle, and kept walking through the haze that turned Epsilon Eridani dull and red.

"Smite my eyes, should I ever be so blind," Surakhol 'Refumee swore. Humans thought like things that crawled in the dirt. They walked along their streets even after their buildings were reduced to rubble, they hid behind cover rather than beneath it, and they never looked up. No, they looked up, but only with cursory glances. Not with the same intensity as when they surveyed the horizon. 

If only they would, then Surakhol and his cohort would have a proper fight on their hands. As it was, this would be too easy.

The flightmaster called out the target, a courtyard nestled between two buildings that a prisoner had identified as reactor sarcophaguses and a long building with a semicircular roof. Surakhol acknowledged the order and dove down through the haze. He alighted on a scaffold around the southern sarcophagus, right in front of a Human who wore a yellow helmet and a stained blue uniform. The human goggled and opened her mouth, but Rikekikict, Surakhol's right-hand wingman, tackled the woman to the deck and drove its claws through her throat before she could scream.

More of the Malurok cohort arrived, on this building's scaffold and the one across the courtyard. In the moment before the slaughter, Surakhol surveyed the courtyard below. Humans bustled back and forth, carrying boxes of their metallic cartridges and bodies on stretchers. Two pits had been sunk into the ground, each one with an artillery piece and its attendant crew.

Surakhol seized the dying woman by her cloth uniform and threw her into the air. She spun end over end and crashed into the cab of a truck. 

All activity in the courtyard ceased. Scores of pale faces looked up for the first time and truly saw the danger that lurked above.

They scattered.

Some of the 'Refumee ranks carried carbines, and they cut the fleeing Humans down with quick accurate fire. That wasn't Surakhol's way. He was a Malurok warrior of the old order, trained by the Yanme'e sages to fly and fight on the wind. He drew a pair of plasma rifles and stepped out into open air. 

He landed on a gantry and ran down its length, spraying cleansing fire into the Humans who passed below. Some of them stopped short and raised their weapons. Bullets rattled off the warrior's shields, and he returned fire. More bullets cut into his shields from all around him, so Surakhol leaped again, feathered his landing, and alighted on a stack of crates. Kuwik'tsh, his left-hand wingman, was already circling around, peppering those Human soldiers with his plasma pistol. Rikekikict rebounded off an artillery piece, leaving two flares burning blue in its wake, and he too joined the fight.

This was the whirlwind, the true fighting method of Malurok. Sangheili and Yanme'e brethren working as one, always flanking and outmaneuvering those that would stand against them. Few could stand against it. Few who were caught in the middle of it knew which way to turn. To fire upon one of the brethren was to turn one's back to another.

In short order, their work was done. The signal was given. Though Humans still lived in the courtyard, Sangheili and Yanme'e spread their wings and flew on to the next. The slaughter continued in one courtyard after another, and the Malurok cohort always relocated before reinforcements could arrive. The Human garrison was thrown into pandemonium, unable to deal with the raiders or the wounded.

And then the cohort vanished. 

Surakhol and his brethren were safely far away when the demolition charges planted in each of the scaffolds detonated, breaching each sarcophagus and destroying the reactors inside.

Quote 2 0
LoZza117
They dont need new species when there isn't enough development into the current species. And when new species get introduced there will no doubt be a repeat of what is already there. Like when the Yonhet were introduced, they were established as traders and smugglers, which was already filled by the Kigyar.
Quote 0 0
Drof497
LoZza117 wrote:
They dont need new species when there isn't enough development into the current species. And when new species get introduced there will no doubt be a repeat of what is already there. Like when the Yonhet were introduced, they were established as traders and smugglers, which was already filled by the Kigyar.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to introduce new species who fill in a role that's already occupied. Not only would it be the first time something like this occurred - take the Jiralhanae for example, a warrior race that can fill in the position of both the Sangheili (warriors and commanders) and the Lekgolo (big, walking tank) - but I'd even argue that it also adds to the lore of the underbelly of the Halo universe by showing us that the Kig-Yar aren't the only ones smuggling in arms and trading questionable goods to the highest bidder but in fact it's a number of individuals from numerous species that are looking to make a profit.

One of these days, I'd like to see Halo's version of Omega (Mass Effect) where you could watch human militia groups buying arms from a Kig-Yar merchant or a Yonhet selling ship parts to a Sangheili warlord and then proceed to enter a store where an Unggoy is selling fish, ship models and Master Chief figurines.
Quote 0 0
LoZza117
Drof497 wrote:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to introduce new species who fill in a role that's already occupied. Not only would it be the first time something like this occurred - take the Jiralhanae for example, a warrior race that can fill in the position of both the Sangheili (warriors and commanders) and the Lekgolo (big, walking tank) - but I'd even argue that it also adds to the lore of the underbelly of the Halo universe by showing us that the Kig-Yar aren't the only ones smuggling in arms and trading questionable goods to the highest bidder but in fact it's a number of individuals from numerous species that are looking to make a profit.

One of these days, I'd like to see Halo's version of Omega (Mass Effect) where you could watch human militia groups buying arms from a Kig-Yar merchant or a Yonhet selling ship parts to a Sangheili warlord and then proceed to enter a store where an Unggoy is selling fish, ship models and Master Chief figurines.

Yeah but there is enough of a difference between them to make them unique. While you can have them fill similar roles there is a uniqueness with each of them, like how the Sangheili are seen as warriors that value honor which is evident from their dialogue and their appearance, whereas the Brutes are savage from their appearance and fighting styles.

If we talk about the Yonhet, what is it that makes them unique as a species??
Quote 0 0
AOK
So, the other species in the Halo Universe are the Sangheili, San'Shyuum, Unggoy, Kig-Yar, Lekgolo, Jiralhanae, Yanme'e, Huragok, Yonhet, Forerunners, and Precursors/Flood. However, I actually wouldn't mind completely band new species to come into the franchise, including a brand new threat. Now, yes, the only known species still alive in the galaxy were part of the Conservation Measure and reseeded. Guilty Spark detected a radio signal from a species previously unknown, then the Array activated, and that species was sadly wiped out. It would take millions of years for life to evolve and then become sentient on a world. Aside from that issue, I think it'd be cool for new species to come in, bringing a new development to the series. Would be cool, as this threat would be an interesting discussion for what we should do, as the Mantle will be ours at that point.What'd you think?

Out of the eleven species you've mentioned, I'd rather say eight of them need further and deeper fiction before we start to bring in a new species, another threat, so to say. We've had extensive fiction about the Sangheili, the San'Shyuum are actually missing from the story, and the few lore tidbits about the Unggoy we know don't make for a complete understanding of their culture and history. More exploration could be done on the Kig-Yar and their interesting matriarchal societies, or about the various species of Lekgolo, or about the historical civil wars of the Jiralhanae. We know little of the Yanme'e, and I'd wager it'd be pretty interesting to see a novel from a Huragok's perspective. And, well, we already know so much about the Forerunners and the Flood that I'd like to retain the mysteries those two species have.
Halo should only introduce this new threat species once the exopolitical situation becomes more stabilized, likely after Humanity truly reclaims the Mantle. 
Quote 2 0
Mendicant Bias
Tacit Axiom wrote:

Nah, the Sharquoi are their own thing, based on the old Drinol concepts.

Also, I'd imagine the majority of the glass shards in that chamber would've come from existing colonies that tried to break off from or defy the Covenant for one reason or the other. Doesn't really fit their MO to completely annihilate a species just because they resisted, given that nearly every one of the client races did so at first, which is also why the complete annihilation of humans became a point of contention to some Sangheili.

? It's directly stated Legkolo and Yanme'e were to be obliterated for resisting the Covenant with Legkolo lucking out for their usefulness and Palmok possibly having Forerunner resources which it didn't. The Unngoy rebellion only stopped because a cruiser arrived to glass Balaho into oblivion. Human annihilation was only questioned because were preserved without an offer and for so long at that, but ultimately the Covenant glassed some races to extinction at some point.

Considering how the narrative flip flops between " Halo primarily takes place within the Orion Arm" to "sporadic colonization/exploration of the galaxy without detailed analysis" I don't think it is proper storytelling to without introducing other aliens until certain ones reach an arbitrary level of depth. Had there been an organized effort this could have already been accomplished with the surface level depth of material being pumped out. Waiting another 20-30 years to have a slew of new races would be such a drag effectively killing of whatever interest remains in the franchise long beforehand.
Quote 0 0